The Old Plough sits on the edge of the village of Shortlanesend some 4 miles outside Truro. The village is also served by a Post Office, shop and garden centre. The current licensees took over this Punch pub in January 2014 and have gradually built up a loyal following by offering good food, a good selection of drinks and by getting actively involved with the community to make the pub the hub once again.
In partnership with Cornwall Library Services, Pub is The Hub agreed to provide a grant of £1,000 from its Community Services Fund to create a community library service in the pub including an IT station allowing full access to the Library Service. This is one of five such projects to date designed to help Cornwall Library Services provide better access to the full range of library services to rural communities.
- Access to library books for longer periods.
- Access to IT services
- Access to all other library services
- Access to Cornwall Council websites
Lessons to Learn
- A good example of the licensees, Cornwall Library Services and Pub is The Hub working together to create a valuable community service for minimal cost.
- Books are provided by Cornwall Library Service and the process can take up to 12 weeks.
Total Project Costs – £1,000
Contribution from Cornwall Library Service – All books
Contribution from Licensee – Shelving
CSF Grant – £1,000
For more information telephone 01423 546165 or email firstname.lastname@example.org